Joint of The Week: Subterranean - My Style is Phreaky (1997)





















This week's joint of the week belongs to little known crew Subterranean who hailed from Iceland and released their debut album Central Magnetizm in 1997 which is well worth checking out.

Cell7 was absent from the scene for quite a while but released a solo album in 2013, which I recall hearing but can't really remember it as for the rest of the group, Frew Elfineh Taha aka Black Fist appeared on recordings with Promoe, Supersci and others and Gnúsi Yones has appeared on recordings from other Icelandic Hip Hop artists and according to Google, they still appear as a group at live shows from time to time.

"My Style is Phreaky" is pure 90's NYC mix-shows and mix-tapes flavour and the style is similar to classic DJ Spinna/Joc Max production...you will definitely hear Digable Planets and Fugees influences on this one.

"My Style is Phreaky" also appeared on the essential Wide Angles compilation released in 1999 as "My Style is Freaky".



This track is dedicated to my Friend, Steampunk, music and anarchy enthusiast/activist Emily Strange who sadly lost her battle with cancer last night, Emily was pretty much the official photographer of Evil Mule when I managed them and took some really great photos of live gigs and release parties over the years.

I will miss your cheeky and clever wit and laugh Emz, rest well hon xxxooo

Jaz

No comments:

Update

Peace The JMS blog is officially closed and I won't be returning to it, it definitely had a good 11 years or so run but it just s...