R.I.P. Jimmy Castor, Etta James and Johnny Otis, Blanketman and Megaupload

In the space of a week of this crazy year we know as 2012, music has lost three important and true legends, saxophonist, singer and funk and disco pioneer Jimmy Castor probably most famous for the timeless B-Boy anthem "It's Just Begun" and sampled numerous times in Hip Hop.

Singer, DJ, composer, record producer, musician, bandleader, talent scout and a Man of many talents and titles  Ioannis Alexandres Veliotes aka Johhny Otis.
Winner of 6 Grammys and 17 Blues Music awards, legendary singer Jamesetta Hawkins aka  Etta James sung a diverse and broad range of styles from blues, r & b, jazz to rock n roll and gospel throughout her career and was sampled a few times in Hip Hop and worked with rap artists (including Def Jef in1989) and other artists.

Wellington icon Ben Hana aka Blankentman who really was a part of the scenery in Wellington, also passed away after 11 hard years living on the streets, the story goes that he killed a good Friend drink driving and wanted to suffer for the rest of his life, I gave Ben things in the past and always acknowledged him and he was always grateful and I know that he wasn't perfect, but the truth is that when you mention Wellington and it's characters that make up the great city, you could not dismiss him....ever.

And the world famous file sharing site, Megaupload was shut down by the feds (with 4 arrests in my native country) CRDS had quite a lot of Megaupload links (now gone) for compilations, so if there is anything you really need uploaded again, please just leave a comment at the post.

To be honest others out there have said things I wanted to say and better, so let's just let the links do the talking...

R.I.P. Jimmy Castor




R.I.P. Johnny Otis



R.I.P. Etta James



R.I.P. Ben Hana aka Blanketman



R.I.P. Megaupload 

 


Megaupload at Wikipedia
News item on the Feds shutting down Megaupload

Peace

1 comment:

Slowpoke said...

Holy fuck Etta James was still alive!? I feel stupid for not knowing that

Update

Peace The JMS blog is officially closed and I won't be returning to it, it definitely had a good 11 years or so run but it just s...