RE UP: CRDS Presents-The Adagio Collection…and some Jaz/Weds Nite Jam History


Photo by Stephen Mackey

I was going through some old discs and remembered that I had some old Weds Nite Jam stuff from the 90's, so here are two ads we made in (I think )1991 but it may have been earlier, I will ask Big Daddy Cam as I am sure he will know, these ads are funny and you may laugh your head off..it's all gravy..

Oh and I am pretty sure that were the first people to sample the "Night Court Theme"



1-WNJ Promo Ad (1991)
Haha..this was mad fun to make,Vee hooked up the beat and snatched the TV theme from Night Court, added some "Hihache" drums and away we went, I wrote the rhymes and Mikey was always bugging out in the background with his Word...but listen to the part where it goes Booommm...haha Mikey is going to kill me for that one.
2 WNJ Promo Ad 2 (1991)
I have fond memories of making this one,and I can't remember if this is the first or second one we with did the Average White Band sample) anyway have a listen and have a chuckle or a guffaw (lol)

Peace to Mikey, Micheal and Cam for putting me on like Big L :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


CRDS Presents-The Adagio Collection…

1-adagio - the break (97)
2-adagio - poetry to infinity (02)
3-adagio - upper hand
(97)

4-adagio - the obvious joint (96)
5-adagio - listening pleasure
(97)

6-adagio - hold tight (97)
7-adagio ft wisdom- the meaning (98)
8-adagio - 20-cents (a tale of two dimes)
(97)

9-adagio - boy & girl tale (97)
10-adagio-my girl (97)
11-adagio-who is adagio (02)
12-adagio ft wisdom and juggaknots-all star jam (96)
13-adagio - listening pleasure (remix) (98)
14-adagio-everybody
(97)

15-adagio-obvious (97)
16-adagio ft the juggaknots-who makes it hot (02)
17-ass and benefits (96)



Adagio was M.C. Reign Supreme and Big Cousin aka The
Obvious Wonder they first broke on the underground scene with the mixtape and underground radio show favourite The Obvious Joint” in 1996.
After that they released a succession of singles and e.p.'s mainly in 1997 and also appeared on records by Wisdom and The Juggaknots.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Juggaknots,+The

Adagio were last heard of in 2002(The classic Poetry to Infinity backed with Who is Adagio?12") and oddly there is hardly anything about them on the internet, not one photo or bio,only a list of records they have released and appeared on at discogs


http://www.discogs.com/artist/Adagio



Adagio is one of my all time favourite artists and it’s a shame there was never a full album,
but this is as close as you are going to get
I first did this comp in 2006 and it was quite popular on a few forums and blogs not to mention Soulseek, plus I received some requests for it via e-mail (what's good Mr Incognito ;), so I have redone it up and tried my hardest to find the best quality recordings.



My thanks to Trav and the WYDU crew @
http://www.wakeyourdaughterup.blogspot.com
and those ill vinyl collectors
ral278 and mirro @
http://indie-cratez.blogspot.com

and a fat Downtown Science shout out to
lynton @


http://lynton.buzka.com/BeatsandPieces

and I have to state that being a rap nerd pays off when you get personal e-mails from Saalam Remi  and X-Ray (Darc Mind)...word up.


17 comments:

lyntonbb said...

word to the nerd Jaz.
and a bit of OCD pays off to! At least I can grab stuff like my vinyl LPs of Downtown Science and Tony Dto bust the quality when all the other hip hop I'm hearing makes me wanna holler!
keep on Jaz!

Anonymous said...

niiice post Jaz! the compilation is incredible! I just wanna thank you again for hookin' me up and shouting me out : )
mad props... peace man

Anonymous said...

Adagio is amazing and so hard to find!! I love it. THANK YOU

ral278 said...

yo jaz! big upo for your work and the credits u give us! great overview of all that sick Adagio! releases (them be one of my fav crewz!)!
keep up the great work!
peace

JR said...

Sick collection of rarities here; haven't stopped listening to them since you posted it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

jaz i gotta request.
rappinstine - scream

is that in the crates?

nobulrecords@yahoo.com

peace,
JOnny

Anonymous said...

sup, i can't find any "comments" link on your E Sermon post, so i'm trying it here ,you might need to change your comments options or something? anyway i'm requesting your compilation, anxious to get some unheard staff of the e double, hit me up:
bombfirstcom@hotmail.com

thanks, Chris

Anonymous said...

thank you for introducing me to adagio. great, great stuff.

ekk0

www.berkeleyplace.wordpress.com

also: i'd love to check out that E Sermon mix, too.

ekalett @ yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Adagio were featured on DJ Premier's Crooklyn Cuts tape B, with the song 'the obvious joint' (dope song) and that's how I came to know'em.
great work Jaz

Anonymous said...

it was me who added all those Adagio tracks to discogs .. lol
been a fan of their work for years.. very underated.. to be honest - the tunes were quite easy to pick up over the years and have doubles of few.. good looking out on the blog!

Big Buckeye said...

crack me up jaz-o!! i hope all your troubles are working their way out mate ;) have a great holiday season friend
-MC Eiht (Brian)

Dart Adams said...

You added stuff to Discogs? That's the stuff of legend! Great Adagio drop once again!

One.

Anonymous said...

yo jaz... keep up the great work w/ all these dope comps... still diggin that epmd remixes

Anonymous said...

just wanted to drop by and say thanks for upping the adagio joints... incredible shit.. its on repeat 24/7 these days.
be safe

Unknown said...

I had a store called, The Hip Hop Cafe in Cincinnati, it was featured in the Source in nineteen ninety whatever the fuck and that's all we played, second golden era independents! I think, "the obvious joint" stayed on at least one of the tech 12's at all times! (Jemini the Gifted One's "Funk Soul Sensation" on the other) Yes, now i've got that shit all up in my iPhone4 soundin love love, good look. Oh and "who makes it hot"? come on fam, that was on the Juggs album that came out in 96 not 02

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Peace Karnell, dopeness I really miss those times.

The "Make It Hot" version on this compilation came from the Juggaknots LP Re-release in 2002, It wasn't on the LP from 96 fam.

http://www.discogs.com/Juggaknots-The-Juggaknots/release/146172

Update

Peace The JMS blog is officially closed and I won't be returning to it, it definitely had a good 11 years or so run but it just s...